Sunday, July 27, 2008

Growing (or not really) and packing

This weekend was quite difficult for me. On Saturday I decided to go down to the maternity store to purchase those bands that cover the tops of skirts/pants and allow pregnant women to leave them unzipped as their belly grows. But, once there I learned that these are only recommended for up to four months (I'm at four months now) because after that it's too restricting for the baby. So, I now need to purchase maternity clothes. This wasn't fun. Apparently, I am a very small four months and so a lot of skirts and dresses were way too long as I didn't have a belly to pull them up. After a depressing hour by myself in the store, I purchased a few things and left. 

If that wasn't bad enough, the plan for the rest of my afternoon was to pack up all of the clothes that don't fit me (95% of my wardrobe) and move them to storage. This was to help with two things: 1. make it easier to pick out what to wear in the morning and 2. prevent me from being depressed when I try on clothes that no longer fit. This was tough, very tough. I work(ed) hard to stay my size and to have that all go away within the matter of two months and with no control over it, isn't easy.  I won't lie. I hated being pregnant on Saturday (and Sunday - read on...). 

Sunday wasn't much better. After encouragement from a friend to visit Ann Taylor Loft and check out their sales and maternity clothes, I decided it couldn't hurt. Ha! The maternity section has about 10 pieces of clothing and even the XS (they say you should wear the size you did before pregnancy) were too big. The skirt literally fell off! And the petite dresses/shirts didn't fit either - a combination of too tight and too big. So, back to American Apparel - my savior. I purchased one more skirt and dress. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid shopping again until my mother comes in a few weeks.

I can't believe I'm saying (writing) this, but I'm looking forward to being "more pregnant" so that I'm not in this weird in between stage. I just feel fat, and, quite frankly, it sucks.


I'd like to end on a positive note, so here is my top 5 list of things I'm thankful for so far in my pregnancy:
1. My extensive knowledge of the location of public restrooms (and which ones are clean)
2. My first Dian von Furstenberg purchase - a wrap shirt, the dresses still look terrible on me
3. Jackson - he's a great comfort and also great exercise (we've started taking morning walks so that I can stay in shape) 
4. Thicker nails (hair's still thin though)
5. My bed

Goodnight!

No comments: