Thursday, October 30, 2008

I can hear you

Today we had our office Halloween party. It's strongly suggested that we attend these gatherings for a few minutes so I went upstairs with two friends to make my appearance. After being there for about ten minutes, two (old and single) women in the finance department were standing a few feet from me, talking about me! The conversation went something like this:

Woman 1: Oh, she's definitely having a girl (pointing - yes pointing - at me).
Woman 2: Really?
Woman 1: Yes, her face has really changed. It's gotten so fat (pointing again). Can you see how fat her face has gotten? 
Woman 2: Oh.
Woman 1: If your face changes and it gets fat that means your having a girl. And hers (yes, still pointing) has really changed. It's gotten fat.

I'm sure the conversation continued but I didn't stick around to listen. I walked over to talk to some other girls and started talking to them. I just wanted to get away from them. 

Now I'm not perfect and have definitely put my foot in my mouth on many occasions but it still shocks me that people say things like that when the person they are speaking about is right there! 

And didn't her mother teach her not to point?

No comments: