Monday, November 3, 2008

Stairs

Over the summer, the firm I work for merged with another and we are now in the process of moving offices so everyone can be together. Luckily our group is just moving downstairs (most of our old firm is moving uptown so I'm happy that my commute won't change) for a year until we move into new office space in the Flatiron District.

Today we all went downstairs to see where we'll be sitting. Since it's only four floors down and I need the exercise, my friend and I walked down the stairs and we got there at the same time as everyone else who rode the elevator. When we got out of the stairs a senior (childless) woman in our firm greeted me with: "You shouldn't be taking the stairs in your condition."

Huh? Really? Why can't I take the stairs? I'm not paralyzed and it's good exercise. I walk up and down the stairs all the time at home. Unless a pregnant woman is on bedrest, I've never heard of being confined to just one floor of her home. And I don't see elevators in every multi-story home where a pregnant woman has lived.

I just keep thinking about that remark and all the things I wouldn't be able to do if I couldn't take the stairs. It makes me laugh.

No comments: