Monday, November 24, 2008

CPR

On Saturday H and I took an infant and child CPR class. I haven't taken CPR since I took the Red Cross babysitting course at 11 or 12 years old. This class was well worth it and I'm glad we took it. In about 1 1/2 hours and we learned basic CPR and choking techniques for babies (up to 1 year) and children (up to 8 years). And yes, there really is a difference between how you treat a baby versus a child.

There were seven people in our class and the nurse who taught it used the repetition method to help us learn. Personally, I learn best with repetition so I was happy for her choice of teaching methods. During the class, were each given a practice doll whose chest actually inflated when you blew air into the mouth!

It wasn't a certification course, just a "friends and family" class but I do feel I walked away with a good knowledge of what to do in an emergency. In fact, H and I have already requested that our parents (Baby D's grandparents!) take the course. Hopefully none of us will ever have to use it, but it's great to know. It could even save the life of a stranger's kid.

No comments: